Friday, January 29, 2010

January 29, 2010 (or what feels like a game-changing day)

Tuesday was my youngest's birthday. We went out to dinner and had a great time. Their physicals are scheduled for two weeks from now. My husband had mentioned on Sunday that we should talk to the doctor about little guy's forgetfulness. It seems like he is always forgetting something. Or he forgets that he remembered something and tells me it's at school, when in reality it is in his backpack.


 

Anyway, Sunday, he mentioned that his head hurt, so Mark was thinking maybe the headache and the forgetfulness are related. Check in two weeks when we go for physicals. Yesterday, after receiving bad news about a friend of ours who has an inoperable brain tumor that is cancerous, I asked him about his headaches. Here's the daily log of his headaches.

Sunday: Yes

Monday: Don't Remember

Tuesday (his birthday): Don't remember

Wednesday : Yes, headache

Thursday: Yes, headache (but don't remember if he woke up with one).


 

Couple the frequency of the headaches with the forgetfulness, which has, admittedly gotten much worse in the last few months. Plus, the bad news about our friend…..Plus, we know of three people who have been diagnosed with brain tumors in less than two years (two of them are related, one of them is a kid at the school, and two of the three are younger than my kids). I think it's time that we go to the doctor and get it checked out. My little guy is 9, and very perceptive. So I'm trying to tell him enough to let him know what the schedule is and why we are going to the doctor, but I'm also trying to not even remotely say something that might pop a question into his head. He's way too smart and I'm not ready for the questions he's likely to ask.

Which takes me back to why I am posting. Last night I was paralyzed on the couch with all these thoughts. I have seen my friend go through Hell with his daughter. They are the strongest family that I know, and if ever have to go through a similar situation, I just don't know that we are strong enough.


 

On a funny note, he went to the County Museum for a field trip. One of the kids on the bus was playing with an UNWRAPPED condom. One of the moms took it and it was disposed of, by when she was telling me about it, the boys were asking what it was that was found on the bus. I finally said, I don't think you are old enough to talk about this, but let's just say it has to do with boy parts J We've have the sex conversation, but I think that 9 and 11 is a little early to talk about contraception. And mom was not mentally prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment